Most of us know that germs abound in our office environments. But did you know that the lifespan of various germs and bacteria can range anywhere from a couple hours to weeks? With multiple touch points throughout the modern office, it’s no easy task to avoid coming in contact with potential germ infested areas. With the average person touching anywhere from 300 or more surfaces every 30 minutes, it’s no surprise there are germs everywhere! One of the worst places in terms of hosting germs can be your office breakroom or kitchen, especially if you don’t have regular Montreal cleaning services. Other areas that rank high on the list include:
- Kitchen & bathroom faucets
- Water fountains
- Refrigerator doors
- Vending machine keypads
- Microwave handles and buttons
- Computer keyboards and mice
Tips For Employees
If you’re an employee, there are a few things you can do to minimize your exposure and the risk of catching something, without avoiding the office altogether! Our top tips for staying healthy include:
- First of all, make sure you’re as healthy as possible by eating properly and getting enough sleep. It really makes a big difference in your body’s ability to ward off sickness.
- Next up, buy yourself a can of antibacterial wipes. When you’re on duty, without making a scene, wipe down your workstation’s keyboard, mouse and phone using the wipes. Those two areas alone are your biggest culprits.
- When visiting the washroom, wash your hands properly and use a piece of paper towel to open the door. In fact, make a habit of washing your hands several times throughout the day.
- Try to minimize touching your hands to your face. You’d be surprised how often people do this without realizing it, but it increases the transfer of germs directly to your weakest points: eyes, nose and mouth!
Tips for Employers and Office Managers
Aside from having everyone work remotely, there are things you can do to greatly reduce sick time and the occurrence of office-borne illnesses. Top of this list is to do thorough and regular office cleaning. Better yet, hire a professional Montreal office cleaning service and have your office kept clean without missing a beat. Other ways to reduce germs in your office include:
- Keep your break room clean and stocked with antibacterial hand/dish soap and hand sanitizers.
- Provide paper towels, hand dryers and antibacterial soaps in all washrooms.
- If necessary, hold info sessions with employees to teach proper office/workplace hygiene protocol.
- Identify your main touch points in all areas of your business, including customer/client areas, storage and workstations. Touch points are simply points of contact between your establishment and people. Think door handles, telephones, buttons and keypads on everything, railings etc.
- Hire a cleaning service in Montreal to come in and do a touch point cleaning service. You’d be surprised how much this can help. Even consider having it done regularly or with the change of the seasons. It makes a big difference!