The benefits of running a tidy operation go beyond appearances. Most of us appreciate the aesthetics that a tidy place offers, but maintaining a clean and organized warehouse has many other benefits that impact your bottom line. Taking a glance around your warehouse or manufacturing plant will quickly give you an idea of how effective it is. Workplaces littered with debris from production, or poorly organized and maintained storage facilities rank among some of the less productive facilities.
- Establish cleaning goals. It is far more efficient to maintain a facility than to do a massive overhaul when things have deteriorated to the point you cannot ignore. Determine the tasks that need to be done on a daily basis, and assign them to people, making sure that you also explain exactly how and when to perform these tasks. Once you’ve identified what needs to be done, keep logs in order to ensure that it gets done!
- Hire a cleaning service. If adding these tasks is going to be a problem, consider hiring a cleaning service. Areas that are critical like shipping doors and workstations; these places would need a daily cleaning. During their duties, damages and other problems can be spotted. Racks and shelving can be scheduled for monthly dusting.
- Clean up after yourself. While having a cleaning service come in to do the bulk of the regular cleaning, employees must clean up after themselves as well. Work that creates shavings should be picked up as the work is being done. Packaging materials can be gathered and recycled, and tools and equipment put away.
- Take out your trash! Keeping garbage and recycling bins and areas clean is very important. Make sure that smaller trash cans or recycling bins are emptied daily and the larger ones weekly. Overflowing bins cause all kinds of problems from pests, odours, to injury.
- Keep cleaning supplies and equipment close. Obviously if you’re asking workers to clean, don’t make them walk to the other side of the warehouse to get the supplies! Keep whatever tools and supplies are needed, such as brooms or dust cloths, close at hand. Employees can simply and quickly tidy up areas without adding a lot of time to the clock.
Can-Jan specializes in warehouse cleaning
and maintenance, as well as many other janitorial services. We can help your operations run smoothly, efficiently, and accident free, so give us a call today at 514-365-0050.